PG 1003 MANAGING PEOPLE
Assignment : Brief and guidance – Effective teams The assignment
An individual report including reflection:
1. Critically evaluate how team working theories can be used to develop effective teams in the workplace, including a company example to illustrate working practice. 70%
2. Critically reflect on your own team working capabilities and identify areas of personal development.
Include the results from the relevant module questionnaires in the analysis. 30% Answer both questions.
Use Arial font 12, 2,500 words (plus or minus 10%); excluding title page, diagrams, tables, reference section at the end and any appendices.
Intended learning outcomes
1. the role of people management within the context of the organisation; delivering successful management internationally both as individuals and in teams;
2. specific theoretical concepts of motivation in the workplace; the building blocks of successful teams; and the role of human resource management (HRM);
3. demonstrate academic rigour effectively using the English language orally and in writing.
4. demonstrate critical analysis in theoretical concepts for managing human resources,
5. conduct research, understand their own environment and how to tackle barriers,
6. effectively solve problems, utilising relevant business analysis.
The module guidebook gives full details of the intended learning outcomes.
Assessing learning outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Details of the learning outcomes and marking criteria are in the ‘Module Introductory Document’. Marks allocated:
• 10% Presentation and Structure
• 10% Intellectual Curiosity (quality of academic sources) and Use and presentation of Harvard Referencing
• 20% Content/ Terms/Findings/Definitions – Knowledge and understanding of relevant topics/coverage of points and issues
• 30% Business Application and Integration of Literature and Data
• 30% Discussion, Analysis, Critical Evaluation and / or Reflection
• Students are expected to do a comprehensive literature research before writing your report.
• Your report should have a structure, which is introduction, main part, and conclusions. Discussion, ideas and evidence should be organised around the main theme.
• The report must have an appropriate contextual structure with consistency, integrated presentation, logical flow of discussion, clear connection between paragraphs and sections, statements supported with evidence.
• Integrate theories and academic research into your experience. Note the word ‘integrate’.
• Do not only summarise what you have read. Analyse them in a critical manner. Be original.
• Do not just reproduce / copy relevant theories. Show your understanding.
• Compare, contrast, analyse contradictory views and limitations, give examples / evidence, write a insightful conclusion (which is better than a summary)
• ‘PEEEL’ can help. This is: the first sentence in a paragraph states the main Point being made in the paragraph, followed by Elaboration, Evidence / Example, Explanation / Evaluation, and Link to the next paragraph.
• Read guidance materials to help with “academic reflection”. Use first person – I, me, we. Etc.