Describe the characteristics of the people you see in Sentinel City.
A windshield survey is a collection of subjective personal observations. It is your personal observations on what you see and experience in a specific environment. Sentinel City provides you with a safe way to immerse yourself in several different types of neighborhoods. For this windshield survey, you will tour the city, record your observations, and submit a written response that addresses the specific items listed.
1. Enter Sentinel City Community Health Simulation and get on the virtual bus. Since this is your first tour, select the slowest speed and stay on the bus the entire time.
2. As you take the tour, write down your observations, specifically, those that align with the following demographics and/or subsystems.
3. Describe the characteristics of the people you see in Sentinel City. Consider the following:
What are the race/ethnicity distribution, age ranges, and gender mix? What signs of poverty or wealth do you see?
Who do you see in the streets? Parent with a child, teens, couples, people with disabilities? Is there anyone in the city you would not expect to see?
Are there people who may be homeless?
Are there any animals? If you see dogs, are they on or off a leash?
Are there churches? If so, what are their denominations?
4. Select a target population of interest and discuss relevant demographic data and health status indicators for this population group. Identify major health concerns for this target population. Explain the major health concerns in relation to a global health issue by addressing Healthy People 2020 (Links to an external site.) goals in relation to the major health concerns for your targeted population. You are encouraged to add other relevant characteristics you observe.
5. After your tour is complete, compile your observations into an APA-formatted, 2-4 page paper, with at least 2 scholarly references, addressing each item listed above.
6. View the rubric below these directions to give you an understanding of how your written paper will be assessed.
winshield essay sample windshield survey instruction