Telehealth is the use of technology in healthcare diagnostics and healthcare delivery. Telehealth has been shown to increase access to care, improve patient care outcomes, reduce costs, better utilize healthcare resources, and be highly satisfying to patients and healthcare consumers. This assignment explores the use of telehealth technologies and the application to nursing practice. Create a powerpoint demonstration that involves a nurse-patient scenario. For example, nurses providing patient education and health promotion via telehealth. Imagine you are discharging a patient from your unit that resides long distance away. This patient will be followed at home using remote monitoring. Assume this patient has never heard of telehealth. What information would be important for the nurse to convey about telehealth. The telehealth demonstration should be between 10 minutes in duration.
Here are some examples of activities you may engage with a patient
• Training patients in the use of technology to strengthen their social network.
• Providing health education remotely.
• Monitoring body functions and lifestyle.
• Providing psychosocial support.
• Encouraging patients to undertake health promotion activities.
• Instructing patients and family care givers in self-care
• Medication reconciliation to assess for high-risk medications.
• Assessing patient capacity to use telehealth and educating them.
• Evaluating and adjusting the patient plan of care.
• Coordination of care with the use of telehealth technology.
• Monitoring patient outcomes via telehealth.
In telenursing, the nurse needs to be aware of:
• Words/language used
• Tone and tempo of speech
• Facial expressions and physical body language (video conferencing).
• A close attention to the patient’s subjective notations.
Include an example of a nurse-patient dialogue
here is an example:
Example of nurse-patient dialogue:
My name is Denise. Can I speak to Margaret Brown please?
This is Margaret Brown. Who are you and what do you want?
My name is Denise Jordan. I am a nurse with your health plan. They have identified you as a person who would benefit from participating in a health promotion program
What? My health plan identified me as someone who would benefit from what? I’m not sick
This has nothing to do with you being sick. A health promotion program is one that works with the patient to take active steps to prevent the development of a health problem in the future.
So what’s this going to cost or how much more are my monthly premiums going to go up because of this?
This is part of your health plan. The cost for this is already included in your monthly premium.
But I am not sick, why do I need this?
Your health plan has identified you as someone who is healthy. You don’t use your benefits and as an added bonus, you have access to nurses to answer your questions and make sure that you are taking advantage of all of the steps available to keep you as healthy as possible