What does the statement, “the solution lies outside the confines of the Institution”, imply in the case of Blake Memorial Hospital?
ANSWER THE FOLLOWING FIVE (5) QUESTIONS BASED ON THE CASE OF THE UNHEALTHY HOSPITAL AND THE JOHNS HOPKINS CASE [THE SILENT KILLER]. SEPARATELY ANSWER ALL FIVE (5) QUESTIONS IN AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE. ANSWER ALL SUB-QUESTIONS WITHIN EACH QUESTION THOROUGHLY. EXTENSIVE USE AND VISIBLE REFERENCE TO COURSE THEORETICAL CONTENT AND CASE EXAMPLES ARE EXPECTED AND NECESSARY FOR A SATISFACTORY GRADE. PLEASE POST ONTO
TURNITIN MOODLE BY October 2nd, 23:59 EDT (by 11:59PM) 12 FONT-DOUBLE SPACED- not exceeding 2 PAGES FOR EACH QUESTION. REFERENCE YOUR WORK AS NECESSARY in APA FORMAT.
Reminder – please include the Assignment Attachment Form at the end of the course syllabus (page 15 of 15). Total: 20 marks; 4 marks each question.
Please respond in short essay format to the following questions:
1. What does the statement, “the solution lies outside the confines of the Institution”, imply in the case of Blake Memorial Hospital? Explain how this can lead to a feasible strategic alternative for Bruce Reid and identify the strategic alternative.
2. What actions are necessary in order for Bruce Reid to initiate transformational change at Blake Memorial Hospital? Be explicit in your response, taking into consideration the strategic problem solving process.
3. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of a hierarchical organizational design in the context of the Johns Hopkins Hospital Case. What changes were initiated that improved communication? Why were these changes effective? Be explicit in your response in applying the concepts, theories, or frameworks from the course to the context of the case.
4. In the Johns Hopkins Hospital Case, why was Sorrel (the mom) effective in initiating change? Discuss in relation to her leadership style (behavior) and communication. Provide examples from the case to support your answer.
5. After reading the article by Tucker & Edmondson entitled, “Why Hospitals Don’t Learn From Failures (posted on the E-class website), discuss why a first-order problem solving effort that is successful reduces the likelihood that the underlying cause of the problem will be addressed and resolved. Support your answer with examples.
Journal Article_Why Hospitals Dont Learn from Failures Video Case Study Case Study – The Unhealthy Hospital Assignment #1