In recent years, there have been remarkable shifts in trendlines regarding fundamental political issues such as democracy, authoritarianism, media freedom, and human rights in countries around the world. Spend some time looking around the Freedom House website to understand their perspective on some of these issues, and then complete the brief assignment.
This assignment is divided into two (2) parts.
1. Visit the Freedom House’s website and view the “Freedom in the World, 2022” study. Check out the summary findings on the main page (by clicking the above link). (https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2021/democracy-under-siege )
2. Then, click on Countries and Regions and see where your favorite countries fall in their classification (for 2021). The Methodology link will tell you how freedom is measured in this study.
3. Select two countries that are on different continents. Look at each country’s overall “freedom” score on the main table.
4. Click on the country’s name to open an individual page for each of the countries.
5. Reflect on the following– What are the country’s overall freedom ratings? Their scores for political rights? Civil liberties? Read the text that justifies the rating given by Freedom House.
1. Finally, open a word document write a paragraph telling me whether you agree or disagree with the rating that Freedom House made for each of these two countries, and explain why.