The purpose of this case study is to provide insight into developments in studies of criminology that provide different avenues of approach to assist major crime investigations involving psychological profiles that relate to similar psychologies of crime. This includes major crimes ranging from serial killers to profiling cases involving white-collar and public-order crimes.
1. Please review the following serial killer cases as they relate to lesser crimes of public order and white-collar crimes that that serve as lesser tools employed by serial killers to gain access to victims. The FBI and other law enforcement agencies are discovering that investigation strategies and techniques used for major crimes such as serial killings may indeed provide clues leading to the discovery and prosecution of major white-collar offenders.
2. Research two to three major white-collar offenders and two to three serial killers, and provide a contrast and comparison with serial killer offenders. Determine the following:
1. What, if any, white-collar and public-order crimes were committed by each of the serial killer or sex offenders based on social learning and trait theories?
2. Determine how those crimes facilitated negative reinforcement that may have contributed to the evolution into a serial killer.
3. Confirm how the FBI’s use of criminal profiling may help resolve major white-collar crimes and public-order crimes.
Your case study must be a minimum of two pages in length and must include at least three of the references including the FBI profiling strategy website listed below. You may, of course, include other references discovered from your own research. All sources used must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations in APA format.