You will write an open letter in which you will take one of these two positions:
You can be the Superintendent of Schools writing an open letter to the community to explain why it is appropriate to discontinue the football season after four games.
You can be the leader of a group called the “Let-Them-Play Parents Group” writing a letter to the Superintendent and School Board, explaining why it is important that the district immediately reinstate the team and proceed with the season.
In either case, you should do the following:
1) Make a values-based argument. Explain what values should be most important in making this difficult decision and how those values should guide the decision.
2) You should accept and acknowledge that this is a difficult situation for everyone involved.
3) You should use facts (as your side sees them) to support your position. In some cases this might mean you need to acknowledge and then refute the “facts” that have been presented by the other side.
4) You should be respectful and demonstrate careful, thoughtful, engaging writing.
5) You should never engage in name calling or accusations.
If you take the position of the Superintendent, you only need to present your position/decision, the values that the school district believes are important, and discuss how these values led to the decision.
If you take the position of the parents group, you should state your position, the values that you believe are important and how reinstating the team supports/teaches these values, discuss and refute the positions presented by the Superintendent and Coach, and make a clear call for action (explain exactly what you want and when you want it).
You should be writing in standard letter format, single spaced, twelve-point font. This assignment will probably require you to write a two-page letter.
Letters presenting the position of the parents will probably be longer because you are trying to reverse a decision and more persuasion is required.