Case Study Write-Up Questions
1. In 2-3 paragraphs please explain how poliovirus is transmitted – additionally:
a. Why was a bivalent oral polio vaccine (bOPV) chosen as a key strategic tool?
b. What were the key steps in the development of bOPV?
c. Who were the key stakeholders involved in both bOPV development and implementation?
2. How did the development of the bOPV align with evolving programmatic needs?
What were the vaccination tools available to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) prior to bOPV? Why were new strategies required for the polio
eradication program in remaining endemic countries? What was the programmatic impact of the bOPV introduction?
3. What were the key stages from a product lifecycle perspective that had to be addressed in the development of bOPV?
4. How did the World Health Organization (WHO) coordinate the accelerated clinical trial and production of bOPV? Why was India selected as the location for the clinical trial? Why was the clinical trial able to bypass phase I and II? Why and how did the WHO engage drug manufacturers and national regulatory
5. Based on what you’ve learned about reimbursement in Week 11 of the course how would manufacturers go about determining a fair price for the vaccines
mentioned in this case? How about a COVID-19 vaccine for which the benefits of utilization outweigh the potential risks from a safety perspective? If your answers are different why are they different?