Link to the story: http://www.tiger-town.com/whatnot/updike/
Read the short story “A & P” By John Updike on pages 18-24 of the textbook
In paragraph form, please answer the following questions:
1. When does the story take place? How Sammy describes the 1990’s.
2. Explain the importance of “hypocrisy” in the story.
3. Explain Langel’s role in the story and if you agree or disagree with his position.
4. Why is stereotyping used in the story? What does it reveal about Sammy?
5. Why does Sammy quit his job? Is this the irrational impose or is this a decision that he has to make?
This is the name of the book: Kennedy, X.J., and Dana Gioia. Backpack Literature: An Introduction to Fiction, Poetry, Drama, and Writing. 5th ed. Boston: Longman, 2016. Print.